Milestone! Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne Celebrate 40 Years of Marriage

Sticking together. Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne have encountered many ups and downs during their decades-long marriage, but they are still fighting for their relationship.

The rocker was married to his first wife, Thelma Riley, from 1971 to 1982. He adopted her son, Elliot; then the pair welcomed daughter Jessica in 1972 and son Louis in 1975.

Ozzy met Sharon, who would become his second wife, in 1970. She was 18 at the time. Their relationship did not turn romantic until 1979. They tied the knot in 1982 and later became parents of daughters Aimee and Kelly and son Jack.

Things took a turn in 1989 when Ozzy attacked Sharon and was arrested for attempted murder. She hit a panic button, and the police arrived to intervene. The former Talk cohost ultimately chose to stay married to the musician.

“Thank God the judge put him in treatment for six months. I had time to really think about what he should do,” she recalled on the Biography: Nine Lives of Ozzy Osbourne documentary in September 2020. “I told him, ‘I don’t want the money … but if you do this again, either I am going to kill you or you are going to kill me. And do you want that for the kids?’”

After overcoming that obstacle, the couple faced a cheating scandal in 2016 that led them to split. However, they soon reconciled and renewed their vows.

“You just, you make mistakes, and you learn by your mistakes, I think,” Ozzy said during a Good Morning America appearance in July 2016. “It’s just a bump in the road. … Some days it’s good, some days it’s terrible, some days you just drift apart for a while. But you get back on the horse, you know.”

Despite their rocky road, Kelly thanked her parents in July 2018 for “showing me what true love is” as the twosome celebrated their 36th anniversary.

The former Fashion Police panelist is inspired by Ozzy and Sharon’s love story, but she admitted in September 2018 that it has caused her to have doubts about her own trajectory. “It makes me believe I’ll never find forever love, if I’m honest,” she exclusively told Us Weekly at the time. “It’s not because of me by any means! I think that the world has changed and people are not as inclined to want to work things [out].”

Scroll down to revisit Ozzy and Sharon’s relationship timeline through the years!


1979
Sharon and Ozzy met in 1970 when her father, Don Arden, managed the singer’s band Black Sabbath. Nine years later, Arden fired Ozzy from Black Sabbath, so Sharon began managing her future husband. They subsequently started dating. Bei/Shutterstock
1982
The pair tied the knot in Hawaii on July 4, 1982, shortly after his divorce from Riley. A Rodriguez/BEI/Shutterstock
1983 – 1985
Ozzy and Sharon welcomed their three children in the span of just over two years. Aimee arrived on September 2, 1983, followed by Kelly on October 27, 1984, and Jack on November 8, 1985. Mtv/Kobal/Shutterstock
1989
The Grammy winner, who has struggled with substance abuse issues, attacked Sharon while under the influence of drugs and was arrested for attempted murder. He spent six months in medical detention as a result, but she did not end their marriage.  “I had no idea who was sat across from me on the sofa but it wasn’t my husband. He goes to a stage where he gets that look in his eyes, the shutters were down and I just couldn’t get through to him,” she said on the Biography: Nine Lives of Ozzy Osbourne documentary in September 2020. “And he just said, ‘We’ve come to a decision that you’ve got to die.’ He was calm — very calm — then suddenly he lunged across at me and just dived on me and started to choke me.” Randy Bauer/Shutterstock
2002
Ozzy and Sharon’s MTV reality show with Jack and Kelly, The Osbournes, premiered in March 2002. The highly popular series, which Aimee chose to not be a part of, ran for four seasons, ending in March 2005. Mtv/Kobal/Shutterstock
2013
The crooner shot down divorce rumors in April 2013, admitting that he relapsed. “For the last year and a half I have been drinking and taking drugs. I was in a very dark place and was an a—hole to the people I love most, my family. However, I am happy to say that I am now 44 days sober,” he wrote via Facebook. “Just to set the record straight, Sharon and I are not divorcing. I’m just trying to be a better person. I would like to apologize to Sharon, my family, my friends and my band mates for my insane behavior during this period … and my fans.” BDG/Shutterstock
2016
The couple split in May 2016 after 33 years of marriage amid rumors that he had an affair with hairstylist Michelle Pugh. “I honestly at this point today have no idea what I’m going to be doing with the rest of my life,” Sharon explained on The Talk at the time. “I don’t know where I’m going, who I’m going with. And I just need time to think. And really think about myself, about what do I really want for … Because I’m 63 years of age and I can’t keep living like this.” Broadimage/Shutterstock
2016
As of July 2016, Sharon and Ozzy were back together. “They’ve fallen in love again,” a source told Us, adding that couples therapy saved their marriage. The rocker confirmed the news later that month during an appearance on Good Morning America, revealing the two were “back on track.”  In August 2016, Ozzy admitted in a statement to Us that he cheated on Sharon with multiple women and had been dealing with sex addition for six years. Broadimage/Shutterstock
2017
The duo renewed their wedding vows in Las Vegas in May 2017. “For me, this was actually our real wedding day. This is the one that I will remember,” he told Hello! magazine. “Sharon and I have been through so much, and this honestly feels like a new beginning.” Dave Allocca/Starpix/Shutterstock
2017
Sharon opened up about Ozzy’s infidelity in September 2017. “There wasn’t just one woman; there were six of them,” she told The Telegraph. “Some f—king Russian teenager … then a masseuse in England … our masseuse out here [in Los Angeles] … and then our cook.” Matt Baron/BEI/Shutterstock
2020
Four years after his cheating scandal, Ozzy assured British GQ that he and Sharon were in a better place. “I regret cheating on my wife," he said in November 2020. "I don’t do it anymore.” Picture Perfect/Shutterstock
2021
Ozzy stood by Sharon in March 2021 after she exited The Talk following her controversial defense of pal Piers Morgan. “I can’t f--king hear you!” he captioned an Instagram photo with his wife at the time. “#TeamSharon.”The rock star elaborated on the scandal in May 2021. “Sharon has been going to the mill lately,” he said during an episode of “Ozzy Speaks” on SiriusXM. “She’s been through the mill of it and, you know, all I can tell you if my wife was slightly racist, I’ll tell you she’s possibly the most unracist person I’ve ever met. And I’m not just saying that.” Ozzy revealed that Sharon was “devastated” by the allegations that she made racially insensitive remarks, but she had “weathered the storm” and was “marching on.” He added: “This was just another bump in the road. We’ll get through this.” Chelsea Lauren/Shutterstock
2021
Sharon reflected in September 2021 on the previously “volatile” nature of her relationship with Ozzy. “Our fights were legendary,” she told the Daily Mail. “We would beat the s--t out of each other. It stopped maybe 20 years ago, but we had a good run.” Vianney Le Caer/Shutterstock
2022
After revealing on The Talk UK that her husband was preparing for "a very major operation" that could "determine the rest of his life," Sharon gave her social media followers an update. "Our family would like to express so much gratitude for the overwhelming amount of love and support leading up to Ozzy's surgery!" she wrote in June 2022. "Ozzy is doing well and on the road to recovery! Your love means the world to him." David Fisher/Shutterstock
2022
The pair celebrated 40 years of marriage on July 4. “2022 is a special year for me. It marks 40 years of marriage to my darling Ozzy. We first met when I was 18, over 52 years we have been friends, lovers, husband & wife, grandparents and soulmates,” Sharon wrote via Instagram. “Always at each other’s side. I love you Ozzy ~ Sharrrrrrron x.” Ozzy, for his part, shared throwback wedding snaps via Twitter, writing, “40 Years Ago Today! Happy Anniversary My Love.” Rob Latour/Shutterstock

Post a Comment

0 Comments