Stars Who Have Come Out as Bisexual

Sharing their truths. Some of Hollywood’s biggest stars have not shied away from openly discussing their bisexuality.

Amber Heard revealed in 2010 at GLAAD’s 25th anniversary event that she’s had “successful relationships” with both men and women. The Aquaman actress was married to Johnny Depp from 2015 to 2017 but she has also been linked to Elon Musk and photographer Tasya Van Ree. As of early 2020, she has been dating cinematographer Bianca Butti.

Heard opened up to Italian magazine IO Donna in 2019 about why she chose to publicly address her sexual orientation despite warnings from industry execs and her publicists. “To be silent about something means to admit underneath that that thing is wrong. But I knew it was not like that,” she explained at the time, per Cosmopolitan.

“So I told myself to describe reality in a truthful way and to offer young people someone to look up to since those of my generation had grown up without any model of reference,” the Pineapple Express actress continued. “Who knows, thanks to me, maybe someone has felt less inadequate.”

Billie Joe Armstrong publicized his bisexuality in the early 1990s. He later spoke to Out magazine in 2010 about how his sexual orientation shouldn’t be a concern for his fans.

“The fact that it is an issue is kind of phobic within itself. At some point … this should be something that’s just accepted,” the Green Day rocker said at the time. “I don’t really classify myself as anything. And when it comes to sex, there are parts of me that are very shy and conservative. I want to respect my wife.”

The “American Idiot” crooner has been married to Adrienne Armstrong since 1994. They share sons Joey, Joseph and Jakob.

Michelle Rodriguez, meanwhile, has been linked to Zac Efron and Cara Delevingne in the past. After coming out in 2013, the Fast & Furious actress opened up about her decision to publicize her interest in both sexes.

“I’m not big on people’s opinions, you know? Unless it’s somebody I really respect,” she told Gay Star News in 2014. “I don’t care what people out there have to say. But I do realize the importance of having the bravery to live as who you are and I feel like a lot of people don’t have that bravery.”

Rodriguez added: “Maybe, by me opening my big fat mouth like I usually do and stepping up and owning who I am, maybe it might inspire somebody else to do the same.”

Scroll down to see more stars opening up about identifying as bisexual.


Cynthia Erivo
The England native publicly came out as bisexual during a July 2022 interview with British Vogue, noting that many LGBTQ+ individuals often feel the need to justify “why we deserve to be treated as equal beings” when they should just be given space to “show up fully as who they are." Broadimage/Shutterstock
Elizabeth Corrigan
Corrigan, who appeared on season 26 of The Bachelor, publicly came out as bisexual in June 2022. “It’s hard to know the right way to say these things, or the right time. Today seems like both and neither,” the real estate advisor wrote via Instagram. “Waking up this morning to my first Pride in NYC I was so excited. I sprung out of bed, went to get a coffee — bought a flag — and quickly began feeling anxious. Overwhelmingly so. Am I ready? No. Am I scared? Yes. Will ‘the right time’ come? Qualify it. … It’s important to me today to share with you all that I am queer.” Courtesy of Elizabeth Corrigan/Instagram
Mackenzie Phillips
“I love that throughout my life I have lived on both sides of the curtain,” the One Day at a Time alum said during an interview on Behind The Velvet Rope With David Yontef in April 2022.  “I’ve had boyfriends, I’ve had girlfriends, you know, throughout my life,” the former Orange Is The New Black actor revealed. “I am neither one nor the other. I love our gay community. I mean, I love everybody.” “Well, not everybody,” she clarified. "Almost.”  Matt Baron/Shutterstock
Zach Rance
During a candid discussion with the Mental Health Coalition and With Love, Alexa in December 2020, the former reality star publicly came out as bisexual. He also admitted that he and Frankie Grande hooked up after filming Big Brother season 16 in 2014. "I want to inspire other people to — maybe not experiment, I don't know if that's the right word. But to just be more open-minded because you can fall in love with someone's mind, you can fall in love with someone's heart," he said at the time, describing his journey to self-acceptance. "You don't have to just be attracted to the way they look." Courtesy of Zach Rance/Instagram
Carole Baskin
The Tiger King star told PinkNews in October 2020 that she has “always considered” herself to be bisexual. “It was during the ‘80s that I discovered that through dealing with the LGBT+ community that I [realized] I had just as equal feelings for women as I did for men,” she said. “Even though I’ve never had a wife, I could just as easily have a wife as a husband.” ABC/Kelsey McNeal
Lili Reinhart
Reinhart publicly acknowledged her bisexuality for the first time in June 2020 via an Instagram Stories update. Two months later, the Riverdale star opened up to Flaunt magazine about why she was initially hesitant to share her story. “I knew full well that I was attracted to women from a young age,” she explained. “I felt that since I’ve exclusively been in heteronormative relationships, it would be too easy for any outsider, especially the media, to vilify me and accuse me of faking it to get attention. That’s not something I wanted to deal with. But to my close friends and those in my life, my bisexuality has been no secret.” Andrew H. Walker/Shutterstock
Lilly Singh
YouTube star Lilly Singh came out as bisexual on Twitter and Instagram on February 24, 2019, sharing three checked green boxes that read, “Female,” “Colored” and “Bisexual.” “Throughout my life these have proven to be obstacles from time to time. But now I’m fully embracing them as my superpowers,” she wrote. “No matter how many “boxes” you check, I encourage you to do the same x.” Courtesy of Lilly Signh/Instagram
Megan Fox
"I have no question in my mind about being bisexual," Fox told Esquire in 2009. (Fox married Brian Austin Green in June 2010.) "But I'm also a hypocrite: I would never date a girl who was bisexual, because that means they also sleep with men, and men are so dirty that I'd never want to sleep with a girl who had slept with a man." Leonard Adam/Getty Images
Angelina Jolie
"[I was] surprised when I suddenly found myself having these feelings I always had for men, but for a woman, and wanting to kiss her and wanting to touch her," Jolie told 20/20 in 2003. (She dated model Jenny Shimizu after meeting on the 1996 set of Foxfire.) Ethan Miller/Getty Images
Evan Rachel Wood
Two years after coming out in 2011, Wood told The Daily Beast in 2013, "It's become more socially acceptable. With me, the reason why I came out is because I felt like now was the time to no longer be silent about it. I wanted to wait for the right time and wait to have enough years under my belt where people knew that it wasn't a phase or anything and I wasn't doing it for attention; this is a part of who I am, and I'm old enough to really know who I am by now." Gregg DeGuire/WireImage.com
Fergie
"I think women are beautiful, I've had a lot of fun with women, and I'm not ashamed of it," the Black Eyed Peas singer, married to Josh Duhamel, told The Advocate in 2010. "The problem is that I also love a well-endowed man. But just because I enjoy women doesn't mean I'm allowed to have affairs in my relationship." Steve Granitz/WireImage.com
Lindsay Lohan
The Mean Girls star dated deejay Samantha Ronson on-and-off from 2008 to 2009. When asked by Harper's Bazaar in 2008 if she considered herself bisexual she said, "Maybe. Yeah." When asked again if she considered herself to be bisexual during a 2013 interview with Piers Morgan, however, Lohan said, "Not really. I like being in a relationship with a guy. But there's something just different about it with a woman." Stephen Lovekin/Getty Images
Drew Barrymore
"Do I like women sexually? Yeah, I do. Totally," the actress, now married to Will Kopelman, told Contact Music in 2003. "I have always considered myself bisexual." Jason Merritt/Getty Images
Anna Paquin
"I'm someone who believes being bisexual is actually a thing. It's not made up. It's not a . . . decision," the True Blood star, who came out as bisexual in 2010 and married costar Stephen Moyer shortly after, said in an interview with Zooey magazine in May 2012. "It's not being greedy or numerous other ignorant things I've heard at this point . . . For a bisexual, it's not about gender. That's not the deciding factor to who they're attracted to." Jason LaVeris/FilmMagic
Snooki
"I would consider myself bi," the Jersey Shore star told The Huffington Post in 2012. At the time, she was dating now-fiance Jionni LaValle. "I've done stuff with girls before. But I would never be with a girl because I like... penis. But I've experimented." Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images
Billie Joe Armstrong
"I think I've always been bisexual. I mean, it's something that I've always been interested in," the Green Day rocker told The Advocate in 1995. "I think everybody kind of fantasizes about the same sex. I think people are born bisexual, and it's just that our parents and society kind of veer us off into this feeling of Oh, I can't. They say it's taboo. It's ingrained in our heads that it's bad, when it's not bad at all. It's a very beautiful thing." C Flanigan/WireImage.com
Amber Heard
Johnny Depp's girlfriend told Elle magazine in August 2013 that she came out as bisexual in 2010 to make a statement. "I didn't want to look like I was hiding anything," she said of coming forward about her then-relationship with photographer Tasya van Ree (the pair dated from 2008 to 2012). "I'm not, and wasn't ever, ashamed." Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images
Clive Davis
In his 2013 memoir, The Soundtrack of My life, the legendary music producer discusses exploring romantic relationships with men during the era of studio 54. "I'm still attracted to women. You don't have to be only one thing or another," Davis explained in an interview with Katie Couric. "For me it's the person. I'm in a monogamous relationship, [and] I respect monogamy. And I hope that this is understood." Rommel Demano/FilmMagic
Megan Mullally
The Will & Grace star told The Advocate in 1999, "I consider myself bisexual, and my philosophy is, everyone innately is, although I've never had a full-on relationship with a woman, just a couple of what I'd term half-assed dalliances." Jason LaVeris/FilmMagic
Gillian Anderson
"I was in a relationship with a girl for a long time when I was in high school, and then I was in a relationship with a punk rock drug addict," the X-Files actress told Out magazine in 2012. "You know, I'm old enough that I can talk about that." Dave M. Benett/Getty Images
Andy Dick
On the Tyra Banks Show in 2009, the comedian said he's tried everything. "I say, 'I'm bi, my love knows no gender,' and the straight community says, 'Oh right, that's just a cover-up - you're gay!'" he explained. "And the gay community says, 'Yeah right, that's just a cover-up - you're gay.' They both want to push me gay." Jason Kempin/Getty Images
Margaret Cho
In an open marriage for 10 years with artist Al Ridenour, the comedienne explained to The Real in 2013, "I'm married to a man but I'm bisexual so I like both. We got together because . . . we both have this [idea], 'I just don't want to have sex with the same person my whole life. That's just gross.'" Jason LaVeris/FilmMagic
Vanessa Carlton
The "Ordinary Day" singer came out as bisexual while headlining Nashville Pride in 2011. "I've never said this before, but I am a proud bisexual woman," she told the crowd. Mike Pont/FilmMagic
Mike White
While promoting his film Orange County, the son of gay activist Rev. Mel White, told The Advocate in 2002, "It's not really just trying to be ambiguous -- it takes all kinds, and I'm one of the 'all kinds.'" Jason LaVeris/FilmMagic
Mary Lynn Rajskub
After playing a lesbian in 2009's Sunshine Cleaning, Rajskub, married to Matthew Rolph, told After Ellen in 2012, "I am bisexual and women are beautiful. I have had a lot of experiences with women." Jerod Harris/WireImage.com
Lady Gaga
When asked if she'd ever had sex with another female during a 2009 interview with Barbara Walters, Gaga said, "I've certainly had sexual relationships with women, yes." Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images
Alan Cumming
"For me, bisexual is a good thing, because it's in the middle," the actor, married to Grant Shaffer, told Oasis magazine in 2007. "Even now that I have a husband, who's a man, I still find lots of people attractive." Terry Rice/WireImage.com
Frenchie Davis
"I wasn't out before the relationship, but I wasn't in," the American Idol and Voice alum told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch in 2012 about dating a woman for the past year. "I dated men and women, though lesbians weren't feeling the bisexual thing. Now I'm in love with a woman I think I can be with forever." Angela Weiss/Getty Images
Michelle Rodriguez
"I've gone both ways. I do as I please," the Fast & Furious 7 star told Entertainment Weekly in 2013. "I am too f--king curios to sit here and not try when I can. Men are intriguing. So are chicks." Jason LaVeris/FilmMagic

Post a Comment

0 Comments